While going through all the installation steps for setting up MuleSoft on my machine, I normally found the instructions on their site to be very detailed and informative. However, I encountered some difficulties while downloading and setting up the Mule Enterprise Runtime with MMC (Mule Management Console). The instructions MuleSoft provides can be found here. The instructions seemed pretty straightforward, but when I went to the URL provided to reach the MMC, my browser was unable to establish a connection.
So I decided to write this blog post with the steps that I took in downloading the Mule Enteprise Runtime, the issues I encountered, and how I went about resolving those issues on a Windows machine.
Here is the list of steps that I took:
- Installed the Java SE Development Kit 7. Important: As of this blog post MuleSoft does not support Java6 or Java8.
- Installed the Mule Enterprise Runtime. Make sure to install the Runtime as shown below
- Navigated to downloaded .zip file and unzipped it.
- Opened up the command prompt and navigated to the newly extracted folder. For me the destination was: C:\Mule\mmc-distribution-mule-console-bundle-3.6.1\mmc-distribution-mule-console-bundle-3.6.1
- Ran the following command in the command prompt window: startup.bat
- When the the command finished executing it gave a URL I could use to navigate to the MMC.
- This is where I ran into the issue. When I went to the specified URL no connection was established.
- Upon looking into the logged messages in the command prompt I found that neither the JAVA_HOME nor JRE_HOME environment variables were defined which are needed by the Tomcat Server that the MMC uses.
- In order to fix this problem I navigated to the Tomcat bin folder and created a file called setenv.bat. For me the destination of that folder was: C:\Mule\mmc-distribution-mule-console-bundle-3.6.1\mmc-distribution-mule-console-bundle-3.6.1\mmc-3.6.1\apache-tomcat-7.0.52\bin
- I opened the newly created setenv.bat file and inserted the following line: set JAVA_HOME=<JDK Folder> where the <JDK Folder> for me was C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_79.
- I saved the file and ran the shutdown.bat file in the command prompt and then reran the startup.bat.
- After that I was able to establish a connection to my localhost instance and get to the MMC.
So in the end, as we can see, the issue that can really cause some problems is the fact that you have to establish your JAVA_HOME environment variable in your tomcat instance. The logging on the command prompt can be a little deceptive because even though it recognizes the fact that you are missing this environment variable, it still notifies the end user that they can navigate to the MMC, even though they won’t be able to establish a connection. Hopefully this step by step recollection of my process in figuring out this issue can help somebody else avoid the headaches I encountered while setting up the MMC.